About the Instructor
Will Terry has been a freelance illustrator for 26 years. He got his start working for magazines and newspapers in the Washington D.C. area. His early clients include publications such as Time, Money, WSJ and ads for Sprint, Pizza Hut, Fed Ex, and Master Card. He has illustrated about 30 children’s books for a number of publishers, including Random House, Simon & Schuster, Scholastic, and Penguin. When he's not mountain biking, hiking, or snowboarding he works out of the svslearn.com office in Provo Utah.
Your digital pencil is always sharp and ready to draw!
In this video tutorial you will learn how to set up your own digital pencil brushes in Photoshop - or use one the stock pencils that comes with Photoshop. There are a few tricks you can learn to fool your friends, customers, and clients into thinking that you used real pencils to create digital masterpieces. Why digital when pencils are so cheap? Control, speed, and size. When you use Photoshop to mimic traditional pencils you can take advantage of many digital tools like layers, undo, filters like warp, distort, and liquify, pressure sensitivity, texture pallet, and opacity to recreate a real eraser. Follow along as Will shows you exactly how to build a digital pencil - then watch him create several drawings start to finish to learn his technique.
This tutorial is ready for immediate download and includes the original sketch.
Some of what you will learn
- How to create a digital pencil in Photoshop
- How to use a digital pencil to mimic a real pencil
- How to use other photoshop tools to give you the feeling of traditional pencils
- How to strip your digital or traditional pencil drawing from the paper or white background and move it to a different layer
- How to add a new background like hand made paper scan or other natural texture scan behind your drawing to look like it was all created with natural mediums
- How to start a digital pencil drawing from start to finish
What you need
- Digital tablet like Wacom Intuos but preferably a tablet monitor like Wacom Cintiq or Yiynova or Huion.
- Computer - IOS or Windows with Photoshop CS2 or higher (Will uses PScc in the videos)